Thursday, April 9, 2009

How to Verify Oracle Client Version

I had an ORA-600 error occur on a production SAP BW 3.5/Oracle 10.2.0.4 this week. During the investigation with SAP support I was asked to confirm that I was running Oracle client 9208 or above.

Now that seemed pretty straight forward enough however when I actually went to verify it and show the information to the SAP support personnel I was stuck. How do I verify the client? I know that I can verify the Oracle version using a number of different methods such as : -

Using SQL Plus
1. Logon to UNIX using ora account
2. sqlplus “/ as sysdba”
3. select version from v$instance;
VERSION
-----------------
10.2.0.4.0

Using OPatch
1. Logon to UNIX using ora account
2. cd $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch
3. opatch lsinventory

But this only verifies the database version not the Oracle client. After checking the SAP SDN forums and of course the official SAP knowledge base I was still stuck until I came across the following command which SAP support seem to accept: -

Checking the Oracle client version using the UNIX command line tool ldd
1. Logon to UNIX using adm
2. cdexe
3. ldd dboraslib.so
libnsl.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libnsl.so.1
libpthread.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libpthread.so.1
libclntsh.so.9.0 => /oracle/client/9208/lib/libclntsh.so.9.0
libwtc9.so => /oracle/client/9208/lib/libwtc9.so
libc.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libc.so.1
libxti.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libxti.so.1
libwtc9.so => /oracle/client/9208/lib/libwtc9.so
librt.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/librt.so.1
libnss_dns.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libnss_dns.so.1
libdl.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libdl.so.1
libm.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libm.so.1
libpthread.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libpthread.so.1
libunwind.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libunwind.so.1
libuca.so.1 => /usr/lib/hpux64/libuca.so.1

No comments: